Visa issues and actions

When traveling to the Republic of Indonesia as a tourist (from most Western countries at least), one obtains a 30 day Visa on Arrival (VOA) after paying 25USD at the immigration on the airport. This 30 day visa can be renewed once, totaling your trip to paradise for 60 days. If one does not leave the country within the 30 days from arrival and has not extended their visa, each extra day will have to pay a fine of I don’t remember how much. Another popular option is to make a visa run to either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, but I decided just to stay here and do the extension the easiest way – through a Visa Agency.

There are several agents around Bali (mostly in Kuta, but I found mine in Ubud), who help people with their visas and basically do all the work. The procedures take 7 working days, so usually it is best to be safe and sorry and give it at least 10 days. So after a week in Bali, today I went to the visa office, and was told to bring my passport and a picture (which I went to get with wet and dirty hair, most likely one of the worst photos ever taken of me) with 700,000 IDR (card machine not working). So I walked around to passport pictures, went to get money, then walked back to the office just to find out that from this date onwards (12.11.2014) there is no longer a need for the picture. Go figure. I handed out my passport and gave my email address so they can contact me regarding the next steps. Next week I somehow will go to the Immigration office in Denpasar to give my fingerprints and some other neat stuff, then I will receive my passport back. But since I am no longer staying in Ubud next week, my Agent (how cool!) suggested we meet in the KFC in Sanur. Oh, my…

Random picture of the day: Juice. I’ve had my share of that!

Random shot: Green juice by the rice paddies.
Random shot: Green juice by the rice paddies.

Nihon go go

Going to Japan is not just a matter of hopping on a plane and buckling up, for me at least. Specially if one wishes to spend more than 3 months in the bedazzling country, some -and by some I mean more than a few sheets of- paperwork is required. If you’re a lucky citizen of Finland, you have to deal with the bureaucracy of the social services, too.

For a student, you first have to get accepted by a Japanese school. After applying to a school via your own school’s exchange program, or independently straight to the desired school you want to enroll, they will send you a Letter of Eligibility after approval. You will need to take the Letter of Eligibility with you when you go to the Consulate (which in Finland means a trip to Helsinki). The Embassy will also need a Visa application, which you will print and fill out the best way you can (I have no clue who is my recommendator or who invited me to the country). You also need to bring 27€ cash, your passport, and a passport picture. I went to get my visa yesterday, and now I have a certificate in my passport that should allow me to stay in Japan for a year. If I wish to travel elsewhere after arriving to Japan, I need to get a special re-entry permit. When arriving to Japan, I will hopefully also get an alien registration card.

Random break from all the bureaucracy stuff: art!

Knitted police car in Kiasma museum of modern art, Helsinki

On my visa trip I also met my friends going to their exchange, and two of my cousins! I also saw the car pictured above – all in all it was a good trip!

Back from the infomercials:
For the social services in Finland, KELA, you need to present a paper that your studies in Japan (or whatever target country) are related to your studies in Finland. These papers will be found somewhere from the Internet, and after printing they need to go through the school’s International Office before being sent to KELA. You also have to fill out a form stating that you’re leaving the country, but will be back in less than a year. When you get back, you have to tell them you are home again. I just happened to buy a one way ticket, which means I have no clue when I will be back in Finland. Therefore, after my school ends, I will be cut from the Finnish social security system. Nice.

Of course the school in Japan will want loads of information about you, even after you have been accepted. They want several plus a few more passport pictures, too. I was lucky APU only wanted basic health information and vaccination records (which were not easy to get in July from Manhattan), and not x-rays of my lungs, like some other schools.

I highly recommend a to do/checklist, so it is easier to keep on track of the progress of affairs. Studying some Japanese wouldn’t probably hurt, either! My next step is to buy a power adapter.